One of the four precious gemstones, the Emeralds are in a class of their own. This stunning stone is the gemstone of Planet Mercury and brings with it several benefits to enjoy.
Well, it is intriguing to know that this gem with its lively green color has many secrets hidden in its existence. So, let’s reveal them now!
Keep reading to find 20 interesting facts about this wonderful gemstone!
- The Emerald or Panna Stone belongs to the Beryl family.
- Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, was connect to emeralds in 800-250 B.C. as the emerald gemstone was believe to be the stone of truth as well as eloquent speaking.
- Jaipur in India is one of the largest emerald cutting centers in the world.
- Emerald is found in just one color, and that is green. The deeper the color, the more is the value of the stone.
- During the 1200-1500 A.C., the Aztecs call the emerald as the Stone of the Earth. It use to represent fertility and good luck.
- The Pharaohs in ancient Egypt already mine and cherish these stunning gems. In fact, it was in 1817 when emerald mines were discover by Frédéric Cailliaud.
- As per the beliefs of the Romans, the emerald is connect to Venus, the Goddess of Love. It also signified growth and spring.
- Emeralds have a lower density than diamonds. That’s why a one-carat emerald appears larger than a one-carat diamond.
- In ancient times, the scratches on the emerald’s surface were treat using resins and oils.
- The oldest emeralds are over 2.97 billion years old.
- In Medieval times, the Christians use to connect emerald to Lucifer, the devil. The stone was said to be obtain from his crown.
- The name Emerald is derive from the Latin term “smaragdus” and the Greek term “smaragdos”, meaning “green gem.”
- More often than not, an emerald has some scratches on its surface. This is the reason why the stone is treated in more than 92 percent of cases.
- An amazing fact about these stones is that emeralds are never found alone. They are usually discover near the deposits of quartz.
- When it comes to health benefits, the emerald stone has been widely use for treating skin conditions, speech-related problems, and even nervous disorder.
- The presence of trace amounts of chromium and/or vanadium gives the emerald its beautiful green color.
- The Emerald gemstone is the May birthstone and is the traditional gift for the 20th, 35th and 55th wedding anniversary.
- Cleopatra love the emerald so much so that she took the ownership of all the emerald mines in Egypt in order to get high-quality emeralds all for herself.
- In 2011, Elizabeth Taylor’s spectacular emerald pendant was sold for a whopping $6.5 million.
- Ancient folklore claims that putting an emerald under the tongue would help a person divulge the truth, foreknow the future, and could even help in protecting against evil spells.
If you want to check Emerald Gemstone Collection, you can visit the Online Store at Shop.Emerald.org.in